Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What the...... ?

I need some feedback from everybody. What is the etiquette of text messages? Aren't the rules that apply to phone calls the same for text messaging? So, don't send 'em super late?!
I seriously couldn't believe what happened last night. I received a text message from a person I had texted earlier in the day (noonish, and I really don't know them all that well) and they texted back at 11 o'clock at night!

*Now as a disclaimer, I believe it is totally okay to text family or close friends that you KNOW are awake

The reason why this really 'ruffled my feathers' was that the night before had been pretty chaotic. The Christmas tree went crashing down at midnight (Adam said he "had a wrestling match with the Christmas tree last night... it won, but the Christmas tree then wet itself all over the carpet in protest!" Everyone's a comedian..... :). Then Adam was up until 6 in the morning finishing up his last assignment for the semester. Problem with the all-nighter (besides we're old and hate doing that anymore ;) Is that he had to be up at 8 to hand it in..... The long term plan was for him to get to bed at some point in the day, but he had such a long to-do list (one of those being, making dough for my class. TOTALLY bailed me out, since I forgot we were making volcanoes), he never made it back to those comfy, wonderful sheets. So I put him to bed at 8 and finished some chores around the house. I headed up to bed at 10 and struggled to unwind... finally drifting off to sleep and BAM! Here comes the text! Woke us both up... As many people know, Adam struggles getting back to sleep.... GRRRRR.... I was NOT happy about that text. Some of this frustration comes after a 2am text I received on Sat! Am I crazy for wanting to strangle the messenger last night? ;)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You are right Shari. That's just rude.

Angela said...

Let 'em have it Shari - I would be ticked off as well.

Michelle said...

I agree! That is very rude! Although what I would do is turn off the phone or put it in another room when you go to bed. That way you don't hear it until in the morning. Sorry sis that you are having an interesting couple of days. At least you have your tree sort of up. Ours is still out side and not a light to be had around the yard. doesn't look good for the future either! HELP!!!

Kristi said...

I am with you, I never dare call people after nine at night. I usually wish people wouldn't dare call (or text) me past then either.

Sadie said...

I think common courtesy is not calling (or texting) after 8 p.m. It's weird but I got 2 texts last night at 10:00 and I was already in bed asleep too! It scared the crap out of me.

Lynda said...

How very annoying. Unfortunately, I don't think texting has etiquette rules. At least those who text a lot don't seem to think there are any. You can get all kinds of messages, some cost money, some are in bad taste, and some are just annoying. I guess it is just one of those things that we can't do anything about.

Harmony said...

Okay. Off-subject, but I really loved this post. Not necessarily because of the text-message-ness of it, but because of everything else. I don't know why. Maybe it shows me that I'm not the only one that gets frustrated at little things which really aren't so little, but annoying! Argh! I don't know the texting etiquette because I don't have a cell phone (I know, so 1990s, right?) but I DO know one thing.

You don't call single people after 10:00, and you don't call married people after 9:00. So I agree with the statement of "what the...??" It's totally not cool. Not cool at all, Sparky. You should text that person back at 2:00 in the morning and see how they like it!

Sorry for the rambles. I mean reamblings. Yeah.