Thursday, April 22, 2010

Crochet and Cake Decorating

Lately I've had this huge curiosity to try a bunch of new things. Maybe I'm realizing I haven't tried a ton of new things, because I knew I wouldn't be immediately amazing at them ;) That is definitely one of my faults. When I play sports or do projects I feel like I have to have perfect results. I've always struggled with that. I honestly think I'm too lazy to work on something and not come out satisfied with whatever I was working on. Go figure.

So, I decided to try my hand at crochet. I've actually learned quite a few stitches and it's not as hard as I thought it would be. EVEN better! However, to read a pattern is still a struggle.... I'm working on making anything harder than a pot holder ;)

Also, when we were down in Albuquerque, I was pretty immobile with my back. My Step-Mother In-law introduced me to the world of Cake Decorating. I never knew what was out there! The possibilities of beautiful flowers and designs, just boggles my mind. I'm pretty excited to be able to explore these techniques. I'm not very good, but it is fun to create things with sugary goodness ;)

15 comments:

Lynda said...

I hear you. I have come to the conclusion that my talents lie in being mediocre at everything. But I do it anyway. I just have fun with it. Really though, I have tried both those things and they aren't that hard and they are fun. Just don't be too hard on yourself.

Ben and Trina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben and Trina said...

You are brave! I keep on saying I want to knit and do that but. I don't have the patients to learn oh well maybe someday. Cake’s is one thing I really would like to learn how to do but, when I want to do something I always want to go big. I think that’s a problem.

The Godfreys said...

how exciting! post some pictures. I too can not read crochet patterns, I just youtube everything and it works great!

Kerri Marie said...

Have you heard of the cricut cake! It is the new toy in cake decorating. I want one so bad but probably will never get one consideringy the expense. =)

Ludwig Family Randomness said...

so so fun. You should try the cake decorating courses at Michaels they are wonderful. You would be great at it and they are not too pricy

Lora said...

Hey, don't knock the potholder! Seriously, who doesn't need them.. am I right! Sure was fun having you join the "club"!

Angela said...

Those are 2 of my crafty things that I like to do!

tawnya said...

Potholders rock. 1st rule of knitting club is don't knock the knitting club! :) Even if it is now a crocheting club...

Adam and Shari Crawford said...

Oh, there was NO knocking Tawnya. It was the BEST knitting/crocheting meeting I've EVER been to! AND it had the best refreshments :)

tawnya said...

I'm just afraid we were no help whatsoever to you...

(my word verification is nopsy which seems appropriate!)

Zinser Photography said...

Those are both things that I love! I took a cake decorating class at the comm. college here and I loved it. It is so much fun. And once you learn to read a crochet pattern a whole new world is open to you. If you need some pointers I would be glad to try and help.

SpinIt! said...

Hey! I would love to get with you and play with cakes! I'm no help with the crochet though...oo OO, we could trade "lessons";)

Melinda said...

The crocheting is a ton of fun. I don't really like reading the patterns, once you understand how to increase and decrease then you can pretty much figure out how to make whatever you want. Have fun!!!

Amie Jo said...

At least you are trying! I love to decorate cakes and it just takes a little creativity and a spatula to scrape off the mistakes so you can start over! Oh and a lot of frosting. Someone said to take a decorating class at michaels...I think that is a great place to start...or maybe when you spend your ENTIRE summer here (hint, hint) we could go take one, with Kerri. and she is right, That cricut cake thing is awesome! I tried crochet once and it worked out pretty well, I just never bought any yarn after that first one and...well , you know how it goes. Good luck with the new talents. (heart) ;)