Friday, April 25, 2008

The Sisters Grimm, Book 6 "Tales from the Hood"


These books are the best! The 6th book just came out and I absolutely adore this series. The series is the "Sisters Grimm" and it follows these two girls that have just discovered they are some of the last descendents of the actual Grimm Brothers. The compilation of the Grimm's fairytales ends up being an actual history of Fairy Tale characters. So the sisters find themselves living with their grandmother, while their parents are missing (stolen by some renegade Fairy Tale characters!) The girls start running into these crazy, funny characters like Snow White and the Little Mermaid, but the characters are set in the 20th century. The author is hilarious and paints the greatest images in each book (Snow white is a martial arts expert and the name of her class is "The Bad Apples". So stinking cute!)
One of the greatest parts about this series (and maybe this is my geeky teacher side coming out) the younger sister is constantly questioning the bigger words the adults use, and the older sister explains the definitions to her. Several of my students have checked these books out and they have been able to learn so much vocabulary from the older sister's explanations. You can't help but love the learning aspect!
I could honestly go on for pages about this series, but you have to read them! You'll get addicted too!

2 comments:

Sadie said...

I found The Sisters Grimm at the D.I. on one of my "new books shopping sprees" and it's been sitting on my shelf for 2 months. I didn't know it was a series and now that I have a great review, I'll have to dig it out and read it!! Thanks! I'm always on the look out for great books.

Tasha Stout said...

I didn't know that book was out yet! I knew it was out in May but already? That's awesome! I'm going to go and get it!!!